Claymont Stone School
Philadelphia Pike at Darley Road
Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
Photo: License: Public Domain
The Claymont Stone School, also known as Naaman's Creek School #1, is a historic schoolhouse built in 1805. The original building was renovated in 1905 and expanded to become a two room schoolhouse. It was used until 1925.
In 1928 the Stone School was converted to serve as a community center and public library, but in 1988 it was deemed structurally unsound. Thereafter, it stood empty, and the school district considered tearing it down until a group called Friends of the Claymont Stone School intervened to save the building, raising funds for its renovation and conversion into a museum and heritage center, which was completed in 2002.
The historic marker for the building reads:
"Also known as Naaman's Creek School #1, THE CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL was built on land donated by John Dickinson, the "Penman of the American Revolution," in 1805. The building was expanded and renovated in 1905. Evidence suggests that it may have been the first racially integrated public school in the State. The Claymont Stone School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990."
Claymont Stone School Categories
Other Claymont Stone School Resources