Landmark: United States Logo

New Castle County, Delaware Landmarks

The landmarks listed below are located in New Castle County, Delaware.

Block House

Block House

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
The Block House was originally designed for defense against local Indians. It was constructed in 1654 by John Risingh, Governor of the Colony of New Sweden and is the only house remaining of original settlement on Naaman's Creek.

Brandywine Creek

Brandywine Creek

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware
Brandywine Creek is a tributary of the Christina River in southeastern Pennsylvania and northern Delaware in the United States. The mouth of the creek on the Christina River in present-day Wilmington, Delaware, is the site of the New Sweden colony.

Claymont Stone School

Claymont Stone School

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
The Claymont Stone School, also known as Naaman's Creek School #1, is a historic schoolhouse built in 1805. The original building was renovated in 1905 and expanded to become a two room schoolhouse. It was used until 1925.

Daniel S. Frawley Stadium

Daniel S. Frawley Stadium

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19801
Daniel S. Frawley Stadium is a stadium in Wilmington, Delaware. It is primarily used for baseball, and is the home field of the Wilmington Blue Rocks minor league baseball team.

Darley House

Darley House

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
This is the former home of world-renowned illustrator F. O. C. Darley (1821-1888). Built in the late 18th century and enlarged several times, the house was purchased by Darley in 1863 and renamed "The Wren's Nest."

Delaware Art Museum

Delaware Art Museum

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19806
The Delaware Art Museum is an art museum located on the Kentmere Parkway in Wilmington, Delaware, which holds a collection of more than 12,000 objects.

Delaware Center for Horticulture

Delaware Center for Horticulture

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19806
The Delaware Center for Horticulture is a non-profit horticultural organization dedicated to promoting knowledge and appreciation of gardening, horticulture and conservation.

Delaware Sports Museum

Delaware Sports Museum

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19801
The Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame is a membership-based organization founded in 1976.

Ebright Azimuth

Ebright Azimuth

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware
The Ebright Azimuth is the point with the highest elevation in Delaware with a benchmark monument. It has an elevation of 447.85 feet (136.50 m) above sea level.

Hagley Museum and Library

Hagley Museum and Library

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19807
The Hagley Museum and Library is a nonprofit educational institution in Wilmington, Delaware. Covering more than 235 acres along the banks of the Brandywine Creek, the museum and grounds include the first du Pont family home and garden.

Howard R. Young Correctional Institution

Howard R. Young Correctional Institution

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19801
The Howard R. Young Correctional Institution, colloquially known as Gander Hill Prison, is a state prison for male inmates in Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, owned and operated by the Delaware Department of Correction.

Iron Hill School Museum

Iron Hill School Museum

Pencader Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware, 19702
Iron Hill School No. 112C, also known as the Iron Hill Museum, is a historic one-room school building located near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware.

Mt. Cuba Center

Mt. Cuba Center

Greenville, New Castle County, Delaware, 19807
This non-profit botanical garden and historical preserve consists of 630 acres (255 ha). Mt. Cuba's well-documented plant collection is focused on the study of Delaware Piedmont flora.

Nemours Mansion

Nemours Mansion

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19803
The Nemours Mansion and Gardens is a 300-acre country estate with jardin à la française formal gardens and a French neoclassical mansion in Wilmington, Delaware.

Newark Reservoir

Newark Reservoir

Newark, New Castle County, Delaware
The Newark Reservoir is a reservoir in Newark, Delaware, located just north of downtown.

Robinson House

Robinson House

Claymont, New Castle County, Delaware, 19703
The Robinson House was built on the site of the original settlement on Naaman's Creek in 1723. George Washington, General Anthony Wayne, the Marquis de Lafayette, and "Light Horse" Harry Lee were all guests at the Robinson House.

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church

Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, 19805
St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic church in Wilmington, Delaware. Named in honor of Anthony of Padua, it falls within the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wilmington.

University of Delaware

University of Delaware

Newark, New Castle County, Delaware, 19716
The University of Delaware (UD) is the largest university in Delaware. Its original class of ten students included George Read, Thomas McKean, and James Smith, all three of whom would go on to sign the Declaration of Independence.

University of Delaware Botanic Gardens

University of Delaware Botanic Gardens

Newark, New Castle County, Delaware, 19716
Gardens at this location include the original Clark Garden, a Magnolia Society test garden, native and non-native plant garden, a wildflower area, a herbaceous perennial garden and stretches of native trees and shrubs.

Winterthur Museum

Winterthur Museum

Winterthur, New Castle County, Delaware, 19735
The museum is the former home of the Dupont family and contains one of the finest collections of Americana to be found anywhere. The buildings and grounds were designed by the DuPonts to look like an English country estate.

Top 10 Most Popular New Castle County Landmarks

  1. Block House
  2. Winterthur Museum
  3. Robinson House
  4. Claymont Stone School
  5. Delaware Center for Horticulture
  6. Darley House
  7. University of Delaware
  8. Mt. Cuba Center
  9. Ebright Azimuth
  10. Brandywine Creek

Visit our sister site:
Landmark Earth Logo

MENU